Monday, January 30, 2006

on the S-word

With regards to my previous post: one of my most faithful readers found it disturbing. Given the fact that she's neither prissy nor naive, I wondered what in hell could have caused her to pucker up and shake her head while reading it. I respect her opinion very much, you know.

Two options: option one, that she may have thought I actually tried the practice I discuss with my boss in said entry (inserting you-know-what you-know-where). .Well, if that is the case, no i haven't. Not that I think it would be despicable, I'm just stating a fact. Option two, that certain taboos are tough to beat, no matter how open-minded or experienced one is. In this country, I believe, there's a gap of knowledge, awareness, acceptance when it comes to ... the S. (I know I haven't discovered anything new. I know this is only true as far as the general public goes, we're not talking about Madame Styx here)

With regards to another S-word... as I told my man Avenger, someone at the New York Mag clearly isn't getting any: for the second time in a little more than a month their cover story is about sex. From the February, 6 issue: "Love and the Ambisexual, Heteroflexible Teen by Alex Morris - Researchers find it shocking that 11 percent of American girls between 15 and 19 claim to have same-sex encounters. Meet Alair, her unconsummated crush Jane, their friend Elle, her bisexual boyfriend, and the rest of the heteroflexible gang".

Off the top of my head, again, is any of this new? Or is there only more awareness, due to a greater media coverage (oh, the beauty of coincidences: see, the "Brokeback mountain effect") and an increased tendency to speakout (and showoff) among teens?

No comments: