Friday, May 12, 2006

I know you got soul

In the back-room (they call it "the cave") of Table50, last night, the light of white candles, bodies weaved in an energy-coil pulsating to the beats&breaks of:

Afrika Bambaataa | Kool DJ Herc | Jazzy Jay
DJ Spinna | Rich Medina | Ge-ology
Eli Escobar | DJ Center

At the light of white candles, pictures of one smiling face, a profile, groups of people, shiny happy people, scenes from a night-life I don't recognize. L.A.?

A girl leans over and points to that face on the pictures, "It's him" she say. She's glowing with pride and has a touching dignity in the way she holds herself up and the tears back.

"Yes, that's it, that's the picture of him I knew" I say. "Did you know him?"
She says something, it gets lost in the notes of "I know you got soul"
"He was your brother?" that's what I think I heard.
"He was my boyfriend" she says.
"How old was he?"
"31" she says.

And funny how one takes for granted the premature cause of death for a 31 years old dj can only be a bullet (Proof) or a disease (Dilla).
DJ Dusk died after being hit by a car. The driver was drunk.

"I just wanted to tell you me and my friend here are from Italy. And we had heard of him even back home. That's how far he's reached. I'm so sorry".
She takes one step forward and hugs me tight. I wish I could have told her something better, something more.

(from an Internet message board) A long-standing member of the world famous Rootdown Sound System and Descarga Familia, Dusk swiftly shifted gears from soul to disco to reggae to latin to hip hop and house. As a student of the late Rob One (RIP), Dusk spent his early years diggin' in the crates with some of LA's finest, including Cut Chemist and Marvelous Marvski... The soul controller and host with the most. Tarek, you are missed

More benefits to come:
LA benefit * Fri 5.12
w/ Afrika Bambaataa | Kool DJ Herc | Jazzy Jay
Cut Chemist | Haul and Mason | Blu Jemz
Pablo Like Picasso & Expo
@ club So-Ho

SF benefit * saturday 13th
w/ Shortcut | Sake 1
The Gaslamp Killer | Fran Boogie
@ Club 6

* more shiny happy people in the house last night (at least the ones I recognized):
Dj Duane
Miss Donielle
DJ Lindsey
Dj Myles
Dj Saucey



www.myspace.com/captanfamily

No comments: