Wednesday, May 17, 2006

string bikinis and wolfheads



"This is blabla for blabla radio, broadcasting live from New York city and very honored to have here in the studio with us... *famous gliz glam electro pop high brow brit duo*"

thundering applause

Live audience in the house. I was there, the tip of my nose brushing the partition glass. I mean, I LOVE *fam gliz glam elec pop high brow brit 2* lady singer.

Even after the neverending soundcheck and the vetos - strictly no pictures, "she can fase out the flashes when playing live in big spaces but in studio you never know, they may set something off..." (translation "the engulfing shades can't do zip if you've played Irving plaza the night before and are not wearing any make up") - yes even so I LOVE her.

Then the interview begins (it's a 2 songs/break/2 songs broadcast) and it goes something like this:

sweet martyr interviewer: so blablabla last night's concert blablabla set started as a slow burner then built it up and set the audience on fire blablabla do you deliberately tease the audience I mean what is your m.o. when deciding the tracklist for your live acts?

diva: mutters something.. silence... giggles... "yeah!"

smi: ok (faking chippertude, but struggling instead) long question short answer. let's move on, blablabla your coreography on stage blablabla animal references blablabla dancers wearing string bikinis and wolfheads

diva: yeah, we like ourselves a dancer in a string bikini and wolfhead, nothing better than that (and this was about the longest sentence she ever spoke)... giggles... coughs, clears her throat (still sexy in a "smoky too many gauloises and glasses of Pernot last week in Paris" way)

smi: blablablabla your sound blablabla can you describe ... creative process?

diva: ... uh... I really don't know... yeah!

smi: blablabla

diva: ... silence .. yeah

smi: OK (forcing enthusiasm in her voice like a turkey in an asshole) another long question short answer.

and so on and so forth

I felt bad for sweet martyr interviewer. I may be biased since I too am a music journalist and I find it extremely frustrating when subjects don't cooperate for no apparent reason (of course, I'll understand completely if you're shy/sick/deaf/enjoying the silence). but diva seemed to have no apparent reason other than her "persona" to act like that, flaky in a very intellectual way, you know? bad girl, too busy for that, creative-process-just-comes-natural-I-can-t-explain-can-you-people-just-let-me-sing?

Now, it helps if as an interviewer you avoid long winding questions which basically already contain the answers to themselves. That is just an accident waiting to happen. try and know your subject first, get his/her style, if you just so smell divadom (or boredom) make your questions short-snappy.

Wear a bikini string and a wolfhead. Ride a white horse.

That said, gliz glam etc. brit duo makes some awesome music. and lady singer - despite divadom, lack of makeup and conspicuous structural collapse of epidermis on her neck (my Dad, gentleman and fashion designer would call it "plisse'") - is still hot.

I think I Ooh la la luv her

No comments: