Saturday, June 03, 2006

The things you find

Ah, New York City, eternal source of wonder, good-eats and random finds.

Here's to a few nights of discoveries:

* APT's restroom: 1 hotel room key

* APT (el Colombiano found it, where I don't know): compact blue Nautica umbrella with a nice faux walnut root handle
* That song I like from The 25th hour, whose title I always ignored, is "Bra" by Cymande (thank you Duane)
* Prince and Apollonia recorded the demo for "Manic Monday". Wow! I-want-that.
* Two slices at Two Boots are great. Two slices + 3 vodka tonics + Florent's goat cheese omelette with home fries at 5:30am are a recipe for disaster. And why do I always schedule phonecalls with my parents on week-end mornings?
* I can listen forever to a man who knows his music. That how far I'm willing to go for now and who knows how long. Listening.
* Freaky guy from two years ago (is he a drug dealer, is he a gigolo, is he really a Columbia university student and why is he fixated with my manicure?) is alive and well and showing up at APT!
* Nina Simone's all-time fav: Sinnerman, Mississippi Goddamn, See-Line woman.
* Two nights at the Village Vanguard, two sets each night: too much? Not enough! Gospel is a nice place for jazz to be rooted in. And you "Don't knock the swing" (WJ3).
* The fourth item from the top listed in the window of the beauty salon next door to the Vanguard is an 18$ hair CUT. The second letter is a "U", not an "L-I" but it sure looks like it. So if the "U" looks like "L-I" the "18$ hair cut" actually reads like... that. Too funny.
* If 4 aussies, fresh out of music school, decide to pulverize who-knows-how-much money on a two months "field trip" in the New York of jazz and systematically go see two gigs per night, plus the occasional jam, while practicing during the day and occasionally scoring a lesson with one of the musicans, the morale for us is simple: waste energy on what moves you. Find it first. Then let it consume you. Oh, and jazz is amazing food for body and soul.

Stay tuned for my personal recommendations for a month of can't miss jazz. JVC Jazz Fest is upon us.

2 comments:

pookalu said...

two things:

-ted nash, june 19.

-i thought it was your pedicure. lemme see if i can remember his name...no, i can't. no, i don't want to either.

ducati said...

LOL

June 19, the day before I leave for Italy.. I'll do my best to be there!

It was my manicure first:
sketchy guy (initials DW) "SOooo.. I noticed you wear your nails shorter than the last time I saw you"
Me "No, I just got a manicure that's all"
DW "oh. and.. uh.. did you get a pedi as well?"

ewww.