Friday, April 14, 2006

Andre the Giant, Flava Flav and LVPD

Ever since its first episode CSI has had me. I don't know what it was:

- maybe the fact that I'm a Biologist by training (few of you know this, but yes that's my Degree, plus internship, then Master in Science Journalism, then Journalism, the rest is history and music - and don't make that face: music and science are deeply connected and my training in music started way before that in Biology anyway, in my crib, with my Dad's selections across Baroque classical and fado)

- maybe it's "the enigmatic" Gil Grissom: sometimes I feel like "hey, Grissom IS ME!", eccentric, driven, solitary, enigmatic, with a quirky sense of humor not everybody gets and one dominant topic of conversation: ants colonies for him, jazz colonies for me. Ok, no I'm WAY more social, but... sometimes I get Grissom-y. Plus I've been sweating William J. Petersen ever since "Manhunter"

- maybe it's the opening credits: every time I hear that snippet from The Who I imagine Pete Townshend holding a body by the shoulders and shaking him "WHO ARE YOU?? WHO ARE YOU??"

I digress >> last night's episode was a perfect example of why I like it - with more than one excursion in MY world: subject, street teams (graphic bombing, posters, tagging), rap.
* Obie Trice was starring
** one of the victims gets shot through a Flava Flav clock
*** victims belong to a street team, they're murdered while stapling posters, it all has to do with some beef between two rappers, one CSI muses "did Andre the Giant kill them?"


(Photo: Elizabeth Daniels)

(and speaking of Andre the Giant>> Shepard Fairey knows Milan's graffiti undergroud culture well, loves his daughter and has designed an amazing poster for "Walk the line": he's a gifted artist and I refuse to list all the reasons why I think we can cut him some slack for selling out every now and then. Art needs bread to be spread)

No comments: