Thursday, April 06, 2006

who's Jack.

I watch tv carefully. I choose what to watch selectively. Even the crap I watch (it happens, crap I mean), I handpick it. I go by different m.o.s when chosing - I'll look for character, plot or even individual lines. Lines grab my attention by the horns.

Will & Grace, tonight (no, I'm not implying W&G is crap)
Jack thinks he's blown his audition for the part of "squeaking queen #3", but gets the lead part instead, the straight private investigator. Jack, the quintessential squeaking queen and not precisely an actor of Brandonesque stature, is appalled: how in the WORLD did he end up with the lead part? Enters assistant producer and tells him it was the director's choice, apparently he recognized in Jack his lead character:

a devastated narcissist careening towards a dismal future

that's a great line for a business card. Or a doormat, facing inwards. Imagine, stepping on it everyday on your way out.

No comments: