Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Hip-hop riddle

Passion can't compensate for lack of foundation. I plead guilty to musical ignorance: two of my most recent acquisitions (legally downloaded>>read well, acquisitions not Acquisition) are Jay D's Donuts and Ghostface's Fishscale. 5* easy. But I have a question for y'all.

So I'm listening to Ghostface, right? And the tracks "Beauty Jackson" and "Whip you with a strap" come up. And well... they sound just like Jay D's "Hi" and "One for Ghost"... They're based on the same soul sample. Sound really alike. So, "One for Ghost" ... it makes sense that we should find it in Ghostface's album as well... or not? What was it in Jay D's intention: a gift? A suggestion? One of those collective mosaics artists sometimes make >> I'll start a chapter, you my friend will finish or elaborate on it. Like the painter's "bottega" in Europe's 16th century, when a Master would paint some sacred scene and virtually all of his apprentices would follow suit and repaint the same subject (or co-sign the Master's canvas). Remember Florence? Remember the Flemish?

Was it a tribute? To which Ghost replied with ... a tribute (if there was enough time to go in the studio and add it, between Dilla's passing and Fishscale's release)

But then, what about Hi/Beauty Jackson?

And note... I know Dilla was one of the producers on the album, what I'm wondering is why he chose the same beats

Whatever you say I'll hold on to my judgement: as I said, 5*, of the heavyweight championship kinda. heavy plaques, 5 heavy plaques more like. Both.

No comments: