Friday, March 03, 2006

Urei, Bozak and Flash

I love piazzas. I love spaces of public confrontation, I love feedback (throwback too, but that's another stance) and the clash of titanic minds.
When I was in 11th grade my Philosohpy professor divided the class in two, disciples of Socrates and disciples of Plato, and then asked us to debate the concept of "idea" according to the school of thought we had been assigned to. That was fun.
I heat up when someone questions my knowledge but I'm also smart enough to recognize when I lack knowledge. I'm also in general thirsty for information on any of my passions - music happens to be on top of the list, so you know...
Here it is: I got a reply to my latest entry on Hip-Hop/Smithsonian (for those who read my blog on blogger, I got it through my myspace mainpage, where I also publish this blog). It ignited a damn good convo on hiphop/turntablism/jazz, still ongoing, and I asked the author permission to post it. Permission granted. Enjoy ...



"Read the New York Times article on the Smithsonian's little dib into collecting Hip Hop artifacts, memorabilia.
Thanx for the blog
One factoid, obviously implied dispute, is Grandmaster Flash's contribution to the development of the mixer, particularly the headphone jack/output as in 'how would you have known in advance the next track to mix if it hadn't been for him?'.
Both the Urei and the Bozak, high fidelity club mixer designs had headphone jacks well before Grandmaster Flash's prototype came on the scene, allowing DJs to cue records.
I believe the correct contribution made by Flash was the 'cross-fader'. Club mixers, consisting of knobs instead of 'faders' for the control of sound output per channel, were more typical and limited the execution of the more 'quick mix', scratching and hip hop styles of Djing, set by Herc back in the 70s.
The cross fader allowed for greater accuracy in the 'turntablism' style of mixing, both fader and heightened style developed by Flash.
The sad thing being that his 'cross-fader' invention/design was replicated by mixer manufactures (the industry standard) and Flash did not, nor ever did get compensation.

...

KRS One in a lecture, in England I believe, along with Busy Bee, talked about this
Basically he went on and on about Grand Master Flash's contribution to the development of the mixer and how at the United Nations ceremony recognizing Hip Hop as a distinct culture, he wanted Grand Master Flash to claim his inventions but Flash chose to refrain self proclamation.
But then Busy Bee corrected him and I believe reduced the innovation to the cross-fader"
Thank you Lennox.

No comments: