Wednesday, March 29, 2006

we are family (of grups)



I'm laughing out loud as I read this week's New York mag's cover story on "grups" (contraction for grown-ups), aka "yupster", "yindies", "alterna-yuppies", men and women who act and - oy vey - dress as if they were ... "forever youngish". "Why nobody wants to be an adult anymore" is the rhetorical question printed right between Mike and Robert, 2 of the 12 models of such foreveryoungitude pictured on the cover.

I'm shaking my head and feeling very mature and dignified. I also spend 5 minutes mulling over a list of possible friends/acquaintances that could substitute for Mike, Robert and Co. should I decide to venture in a Photoshop-aided remake of such cover. Let me tell you: I'd need a double cover, Vanity Fair-style. Yes, I have that many of such .. I call them Peter Pans. 90% of which men. You know who you are, cargo pants, messenger bags, hats, berres, shades and kinky/political t-shirts, faded.

I'm still laughing (it's more of an evil chuckle at this point) when I happen to lower my eyes and realize what I am wearing: commando Converse, leather guru jacket, tank top + t-shirt + hoodie. Yes, I'm only (hold ur laughter) 30 and I'm very good at changing lanes, meaning I KNOW when it's time for pearls and heels and a blazer (I WILL nevertheless wear them on a pair of ripped jeans, uhm..). But anyway, you get the gist. Mea culpa.

So, to you, grups, Peter Pans, yupsters, whatever your name is: I'm just like you, we are family, keep it up, your messenger bags and tech gizmos don't bother us, as long as you're grown up where it counts. NO, not there. All the way UP from there, that's right, your brain.

1 comment:

pookalu said...

i have to say...when i tried to read that article yesterday online, i couldn't get through it.

10+ pages????? c'mon! i'm lazy!